A significant number of women have cellulite formation under the skin. This mechanism of the body storing fat in blood vessels under the skin happens more in women than in men. Women are prone to formation of cellulite in the arms, legs, thighs, hips, and butt. The cellulite engorged areas look unsightly and are not easy to get rid of. Understanding the reasons behind the cause of cellulite can help in taking steps to make positive changes to one’s life such that the cellulite formation is reduced. Diet and exercise are often not enough to get rid of cellulite. Other treatment methods may have to be implemented if the cellulite build-up is affecting the person’s health. Keep reading to uncover why cellulite forms in the body.
The Causes Of Cellulite
Take measures to reduce the appearance of cellulite. Understand your body’s healthcare needs and take steps to address the problem. Cellulite can be caused by any of the following factors:
- Genetics – a person’s genetic composition raises the susceptibility to formation of cellulite. Medical researchers have discovered that persons pass on the property of cellulite formation through the genes to close family members.
- Hormones – a lifestyle that is increasingly stressful causes the brain to release stress hormones. These enzymes promote weight gain and also enable the fat to be stored under the skin as cellulite.
- Unhealthy food – a diet that is loaded with junk food or filled with high trans-fat and bad cholesterol is the surest way for the cellulite to start forming. Practice eating healthy to avoid cellulite formation.
- Slow metabolism – the body’s slow metabolism rate due to lethargy, a sedentary lifestyle, and lack of exercise can cause cellulite formation. A slow metabolism rate means that the all the energy from food does not get utilized and the unused energy gets stored as fat deposits under the skin. This is the body’s mechanism of saving the fat to burn as energy later. Unfortunately, continuous lack of exercise means the cellulite formation keeps increasing.
- Fad diets – taking up fad diets for fast weight loss and breaking them can cause you to gain rebound weight. These unhealthy diets can result in losing the elasticity of the skin. This skin problem can aid in cellulite formation.
- Dehydration – a dehydrated body shrinks the skin and causes it to wrinkle due to the inadequate water content in the body. This makes the cellulite appear bigger. Dehydration can harden the cellulite and make it difficult to get rid of.